Wednesday 17 July 2013

Get fitter, save money and lose weight, what's not to like?

Greetings. Yesterday was frankly a bit hectic. I wasn't able to ride my Borisette, as she is called, at all. I'm Sally Crawford and I've just bought a cargo bike. I saw, checked out the safety features, and wrote myself an overdraft.

Three immediate surprises: how great it is not having to fiddle with all that leg down stuff at traffic lights, how easy it is, with no balancing to worry about, to check the road behind, and . . . the number of winsome men who stop to say hi.

Now my capacity for exchanging pleasantries with winsome men is very large. And they abound. Zone 1 is practically Singleton City, so focused are we all on 'work', living in architectural 'shoeboxes' and leading from any organ other than the heart.

It is to be honest rather horrible really just how socially inept we are - or have become - as membership of meetup.com tends to show. There is now another way: relax and get on a cargo bike.

Before signing off for the day and letting you know that cargo bike/cargo biking questions are welcome, let me share with you my biggest surprise of all: the reductive effect of cargo bike cycling on body mass. Well, not so much weight loss as starting to get tighter in all the right places. As one of London's deskbound, what's not to like?

I am ending this first post with a tribute to the bravery of the men and women who rode London's roads and whose lives were taken by motorized vehicles on those roads. May they, their families and loved ones, and the drivers of the vehicles, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment